February 17, 2011

Cobb Salad



Cobb salad...mmmm, don't you love it! I do! It's way better than just a plain old tossed salad..it has crisp bacon, creamy avocado, delicious chopped chicken breast and hard boiled egg!

So...Cobb salad...why is it called Cobb salad?

I'll tell you why.

Cobb salad was created by Bob Cobb....the owner of the famous Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood.



As the story goes...the year is 1937...around midnight Bob Cobb was hungry. Pacing his kitchen he opened the refrigerator and started pulling out this and that...an avocado, lettuce, a hard boiled egg, a cooked chicken breast, cheese, tomato...he began chopping..then swiped some crisp cooked bacon from his chef. He put it all together and topped it with some old fashioned French dressing.

Sid Grauman from the famous Chinese Grauman Theatre was there with Bob Cobb that night when he created this delicious salad. The next day, Sid came back and asked for a "Cobb" salad. And so....the Cobb salad was born! His invention became an overnight success with customers.



This is my version of the Cobb salad. On a beautiful platter filled with washed, chopped iceberg lettuce, I top my salad (from left to right) with rows of bacon, cucumber, kalamata olives, cubed cheese, tomato, chicken, and avocado. I have to tell you, though, I completely forgot to hard boil and egg for my salad. I love chopped hard boiled egg on Cobb salad. I remembered it once I had everything put together and was about to present this beautiful salad to my family! Darn! Oh well, next time. I added a couple of things that aren't on the original salad and you can do that as well. There's no hard fast rules when it comes to creating your own Cobb salad.

For curiosity sake, here's the ingredients in the original Cobb salad: head lettuce, avocado, romaine, watercress, chicory, tomatoes, cold chicken breast, hard boiled egg, chives, bacon and Roquefort cheese. The recipe for the French dressing from The Brown Derby is as follows: 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, 2 tsp. salt, 3/4 tsp. black pepper, 3/4 tsp. Worcestershire, 1/4 tsp. dry English mustard, 1 small clove minced garlic, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 3/4 cup salad oil. First, blend all ingredients together except the oils. Next add oils and mix well.



Make a Cobb salad for your family for lunch or dinner! Everyone will love it!!

10 comments:

  1. I've never had a Cobb Salad, but this looks great! I'm just thinking of how I could make it with things my family likes. (No one likes olives or avocado, but I could use radishes and apples maybe?) Thanks for this great idea, Bonnie. You always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie, your blog looks terrific:) And the salad looks delicious! Now going to see the posts I missed this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My stomach caved in on itself when I saw this recipe. I'm so hungry now. Thanks for the recipe and also the origin of the salad, I had no idea. Oh, and love the new typeface too. Very original.
    Suzanne
    Window On The Prairie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new look!! And the salad looks delicious.. I have never tried one. .but see them advertised everywhere. .That is something I will have to put on our supper menu soon! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, it looks great! We have a SaladWorks restaurant that does some good variations on the Cobb--pasta added!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love it in the summer time with a cold glass of Lemonade or Ice Tea .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That does look good. That is a super idea for tonight however I don't have much of the ingredients. Thanks for the great idea. I too love your new look. Especially the font. Have a great day! Don't know if your into it or not but Daytona 500 tomorrow. Racing all weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stop! You have me salivating and dinner was three hours ago! (and honestly, does bacon ever fail to win - even with the occasional vegetarian?)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your new layout and header! and oh my god, that cobb salad made my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the looks of your cobb salad. It was fun learning where "cobb" salad came from. We make it here, usually using whatever I can find in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete