July 18, 2012

tid bits of the past few days


my favorite drink on a hot summer day
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 


To Kill A Mockingbird, a book I was forced to read in 7th grade English, but didn't remember a single thing about because I was only 12 years old and not interested in the least...at 12 years old, I could barely make myself read this...why do they make 12 year olds read American classic literature???  I was way too young to even appreciate this story....I think you've gotta experience life a lot more than 12 years to be able to appreciate the social and cultural aspects in this story.  It is not a difficult read at all, it's quite pleasurable...but not for a 12 year old. As an adult, I loved this story!! Especially now that I can look back on my childhood and laugh at the hilarious antics of Scout, Jem and Dill.....and now that I know what it's like to be a parent, I can appreciate the character of Atticus as well as Calpurnia...and now that I have been around racial and social issues, I have so much more sympathy and empathy for the characters in this book. There is no way I was going to get that kind of emotion and understanding when I was 12 years old. Especially thinking about  the part  in the story ~  the  morning after Tom  Robinson's trial,  Atticus awoke  to a  table filled with food, all  brought to his house by Tom Robinson's friends and family and Calpurnia was making chicken for breakfast!!! I just cried  when I read that part...that was beautiful and so powerful. Ain't no way a 7th grader would experience those emotions after reading that. Anyhow, my point...if  you read this in high school, and you are much older now, and you've been through the ringer a time or two, and you've experienced  love and blessings as well as pain and loss and suffering, please give this book a second chance....don't just go by your feelings about it when you were forced to read it in middle school.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

And then, last but not least,
I've done a little quilting!


I had so much fun making this block!!  I used fabrics from  my stash. What I really wanted to do was  go out   and buy more fabric...but I've gotta stop that! Use what I have!!!!!!  Anyhow, I'm going to make another one with reds and whites! I think that will be very pretty!! This square is going to be made into a kitchen table mat. Something to put in the middle of  table for your salt and pepper and butter dish to sit on. I still have to make the binding and quilt it.

Well, there's my little tid bits of life these past few days.
What have you been up to??

7 comments:

  1. I read it in the 7th grade, again in high school, and again in college. Loved it every time. Your block is so great. The colors are vivid. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I too read it in 7th grade, and it had an impact, but not nearly what I'm sure it would today as an adult. I'll have to read it again. Thanks Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went looking on youtube for the movie, but I found a documentary instead about the 50 anniversary of the writing of the book. A reporter visits the town where Lee grew up which is the basis for the town in the book. Really neat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWWbXJCgJDw&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie~ I totally agree about the books. I HATED (with a passion) Animal Farm, The Great Gatsby and To Kill A Mockingbird, and as an adult they're among my favs. I love your new Pinapple Twist quilty block, all your corners are so nice & neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt block is beautiful. And I know since my mom was a professional quilter. I have never read To Kill a Mockingbird. I have always meant to, but never got to it. I will definitely put it on my "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been up to. .work. .work. .cooking. .cooking. .county fair. .county fair. .errands, kids appointments, funerals, celebrations, community service and fund raisers. . .oh. .and a little sleep :-) I started reading my little antique book in my 15 minute break before supper between events the other night. .We're holding on for vacation!! Not sure I will make it. Looks like you have been enjoying your days. .good for you!! Love your quilt block. .I like little projects like that. .and have a little quilt kit that my mom gave to me a couple years ago when a friend gave it to her (she already had the same one :-) I hope to work on that this winter since my baby will be in preschool. .and I will have a whole 1/2 day per week all to MYSELF!! I can hardly wait!!! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that book too...in middle school or high school I'd suppose, and like everyone else said, I'm sure it would make even more of an impact now! I'll have to put it on my list!
    You're quilt block is nice! I don't think you'll ever be bored, will you?! :)

    ReplyDelete